Every student/researcher needs to write a term paper or research article for their studies or projects. Although it is a time requiring and effort based work, but with only a practice of few points, one can master it.
- Choose Topic. The choice of topic is the most crucial part. It needs to be creative. The paper relies on the topic. Choosing an interesting topic is beneficial because the researcher/ student will perform his/her best. At times the topic is very broad. It needs to be narrowed down so that work can be done with specificity. It does not matter which angle the topic has, what’s important is that it needs to be original and insightful.
- Research. It is very important to research on the topic one has chosen. Understanding the background of the topic and exploring ideas makes it even easier to work on it. On the other hand, it reveals many new aspects of the topic under consideration. Research is done well when it has a sense of adventure and openness to new ideas.
- Thesis Statement. The thesis statement is one of the most important components. It can not be ignored at any cost. It provides with the basic points of the paper.
- Outline of Paper. An outline provides with the sketch of the paper. Making an outline is good because one can know where one is heading and the directions which are necessary to be followed in this regard. Developing an outline gives the paper a structure and is the skeleton of the paper. The outline should include an introduction, descriptive or explanatory paragraphs, background, summary or a conclusion.
- Introductory Paragraph. The introductory paragraph is a quite challenging aspect. It is suggested to avoid any misconceptions or hurdles. While writing in a flow one comes across many changes and often the direction changes. The introductory paragraph is often reviewed and rewritten to ensure a smooth flow. The body of paragraphs should follow a convincing approach. It is advisable to conclude the introductory paragraphs in a strong manner. Restating the thesis statement, an important detail of the paper, and the conclusion is a good way to wrap it all.
- Citation/Format Style. The citation style recommended by the instructor is preferable to be used. A format which remains same throughout the entire paper. Stating one’s unique ideas and arguments are advisable. It creates a sense of uniqueness and makes the material interesting. It is recommended to use bibliography with each of the points where it is required.
- Proofreading. Checking spellings and going through the grammar is very important. A term paper well written with a variety of ideas but with grammatical errors or spelling mistakes is not acceptable. It does not put a good impression as well. To end up the title should be of interest to the readers. It should be compelling to the public. It is good to brainstorm ideas and take help from family or friends to have a good impression of the title.
Students are always concerned about their term paper. They want to know if it is acceptable or not. Firstly, it is suggested that one follows the instructions properly and puts the effort in doing so. Secondly, after one is done, be confident and there is no need to worry.