Table of Contents
Some of these foods are not dangerous if eaten properly. However, they can potentially be deadly if not eaten correctly.
Most of you probably know this one. Apple seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides, which produces cyanide once they enter the digestive system. This chemical also has a significant presence in other fruit seeds including peach, cherry, and plum, but apple seeds contain the highest concentration. About 100 grams of apple seeds for the poison to kick in, which is much easier to do than the previous two. Of course, the whole point of seeds in fruit is so that birds and other animals can carry them elsewhere to spread the plant around which will be quite difficult to pull off if the animal carrying the seed dies from cyanide poisoning. Therefore, the cyanogenic glycosides are only accessible if the seed is crushed, and whole seeds are completely safe.
Kidney beans contain a toxin called phytohaemagglutinin. About 4 or 5 raw kidney beans is enough to trigger symptoms. Early symptoms include stomach aches and vomiting. Boiling the bean deactivates the toxin which is why we can eat them normally. But heating the bean below the boiling point actually increases the toxin’s potency. A single heated bean is enough to trigger painful symptoms such as severe nausea, followed by extreme vomiting, diarrhoea, and abdominal pain. There are currently no recorded deaths caused by kidney beans so rest assured. Just cook it properly.
Live Octopus (Sannakji)
Live Octopus also known as Sannakji in Korea, this delicacy is eaten raw. The danger here is that despite the sushi chef killing the octopus before serving it, nerve activity allows it to still wriggle, meaning that their suction cups could attach to your throat as you swallow, six people die every year on average from choking on it.
This fruit is well loved in Jamaica and West Africa but it is banned in
Fun fact: Fruits like peaches, plums, cherry, and apricots seed also can be dangerous as it contains Hydrogen cyanide but you won’t die instantly with that as the limit for your body is 703 mg of Hydrogen cyanide per day in 150 pound human which means you would have to consume tons of seeds before it works to death for you.
Undercooked or raw shellfish is particularly dangerous because they can absorb microbes/ harmful bacteria from the sea.
The validity of the claim that unripened “green” potatoes are poisonous has been the subject of debate for some time. It is known, however, that the green tubers or new sprouts of the potato plant contain the dangerous toxin known as solanine and can cause serious illness if consumed in large quantities
A certain variety of cassava called manioc, which is found in Africa and South America, must be thoroughly cooked and properly prepared. Raw cassava contains a toxic substance called linamarin which becomes cyanide if eaten raw.
Death Cap Mushroom
Although they taste pleasant and resemble many other varieties of non-toxic mushrooms, when eaten, the death cap mushroom causes severe abdominal pain and vomiting. If you ingest a large portion of this deadly mushroom it causes liver, kidney and heart damage.
Did you know that almonds contain cyanide? But don’t worry. Bitter almonds only contain somewhere between 4 – 9 mg of hydrogen cyanide, which is 42 times more than the trace levels found in sweet almonds (sweet almonds is the type people normally eat). After eating about roughly 450 grams of sweet almonds, you may start to experience some mild symptoms including a headache, dizziness, nausea, and rapid breathing. In order for the poison to actually kick in, you’ll have to consume about 1.8 kg of almonds within a couple hours (2 – 3).
Bullfrogs are usually considered a delicacy in certain nations, where people eat the whole frog, not just the legs. However, they contain a range of toxic substances harmful to humans, they carry a toxin that can lead to kidney failure.
Pufferfish are considered a delicacy in Japan, however, they must be carefully prepared to remove their toxic parts and avoid contaminating the meat. Pufferfish contain Tetrodotoxin which can easily kill people and because of this, chefs must take special training to prepare them for consumption. Obtaining a license to prepare Pufferfish requires two years of intense training followed by a tough test which about 1/3 of applicants fail. From 1996 to 2006 between 34 and 64 people were hospitalised and between 0 and 6 people died after eating Pufferfish which made for a fatality rate of 6.8%.
Even if you don’t have a nut allergy, never eat a cashew nut from the tree. Raw cashews contain a toxic substance that can be fatal, if eaten in large quantities. The raw cashews in supermarkets have been steamed to remove the dangerous chemical.
Available in China, blood clams are quickly boiled and eaten. Blood clams are known to carry several viruses that lead to deadly diseases such as typhoid, hepatitis A, and dysentery.